Ultimaker Core Lessons: STEAM lesson 5—Sphericons
When you rotate a symmetric polygon around a mirror axis, cut the solid into two equal parts, and then put the parts back together differently, you produce a sphericon, a three-dimensional solid with one side and two edges.
Why does it work? Create sphericons to explore the relationship between cones, cubes, and octahedrons and find out.
- Understand geometry and geometry transformations
- Understand and execute boolean operations
- Prepare a model for 3D printing
- Assemble sets of parts (magnets)
- Produce a 3D model from a 2D design
- Use the Revolve command to transform a 2D sketch to 3D object