Modix BIG-60 V4
Large Build Volume, Premium Components, Affordable Price
Print Volume of 600 x 600 x 660mm
Modix BIG-60 v4 3D printer is Modix's flagship 3D printer model. Introduced back in 2017 and now in its fourth iteration. Modix BIG-60 presents a competitive mixture of large build volume, premium components and a competitive price. As before, the improvements made in V4 are shared with all other models. New versions are designed with backward compatibility in mind, therefore owners of previous versions enjoy periodical performance improvements and long term high return on their investment.
Special order terms apply. Payment in full required when order is placed. This item cannot be returned or cancelled for any reason. All purchase orders require payment in full by ACH bank transfer.
Please Note: Requires freight shipment for delivery.
- Delivery: self assembly kit
- Print volume: 600 X 600 X 660 mm (XYZ).
- Machine Size (WxDxH): 906x1060x1,356 mm
- Shipping Weight: 140 KG (depend on add-ons selection)
- Enclosure: Optional
- IDEX – Secondary print head – optional
- Z Axis Guides: Smooth rods, Hiwin rails – optional
- Additional add-ons available below.
- Price includes 12 months of warranty and lifetime support. Warranty does not include degradable (PEI sheet and nozzles) and consumables. Warranty can be extended up to two additional years, please select the desired extension below.
Improved Generation 4 Offering:
Generation 4 upgrades include: the new Griffin print head, IDEX compatible, increased print speeds, fully automated calibration and other now standard features to increase ease of use.
IDEX enables printing of models with internal geometries, provides high quality surface finish while reducing post processing time.
Griffin print head offers high printing quality, impact resist, easy-swap and higher printing temperatures than before.
Reliability sensors suite designed to save print-jobs on time. It can detect filament run-out, under extrusion and clogs.
Comprehensive set of automatic calibration tools including: bed tilt calibration, bed leveling, gantry alignment and Z offset calibration.
Tour The BIG-60
Designed with Safety in Mind
The enclosure helps to improve the printer stability providing higher quality print results. It captures the heat generated from the bed, creating a passively heated chamber. This heated chamber helps to reduce wrapping and cracks due to uneven part cooling.
Enclosure made of 3mm black Aluminum Composite Panels (ACP). Enclosure is a highly recommended add-on for the BIG-60, BIG-120X & BIG-120Z and a default option for BIG-Meter and BIG-180X.
The new Modix Generation 4 enclosure enjoys a fresh updated design and has been improved by adding the following features:
- Pneumatic top lid
- Rear maintenance opening hatch
- Sturdy door hinges
- Door and lid sealing strips
- Improved internal led lighting
Active Air Filter
The Modix Active Air Filter (MAAF) is an external air filter device. The filter cleanses the printers’ chamber by capturing micro-particles and gas fumes that are released from melted filament throughout the 3D printing process. MAAF provides a constant air cleansing process during the entire printing process, circulating the air in and out and back into the printer while cleaning it repeatedly.
A large fan inside the device draws the air from the printer through a flexible vent tube connected to the top of the device. The air is then guided through a set of three filters before it is circulated back into the printer.
The triple filter system includes:
- 1. Pre-Filter – Remove large dust particles from the air.
- 2. HEPA Filter – High-Efficiency Particulate Absorbing (HEPA) filter, composed of a mat of randomly arranged fiberglass fibers designed to capture tiny particles released during printing.
- 3. Active Carbon Filter – Clean the air from toxic fumes released during the 3D printing process.
It is about your health!
Sub-micron particles and fumes released during the plastic melting process pose risk to your health. Therefore, every owner of a Modix 3D printer is strongly advised to install an air filter. Air filter is a MUST-HAVE add-on if you intend to print with any plastic beyond PLA, i.e. PETG, ABS… Although common knowledge is that printing PLA in a well-ventilated room is fine, there is no clear definition of proper room ventilation and during the winter and summer times windows are normally closed.
Controlling the air speed
Frontal speed selector allows controlling the air flow speed. Running the filter on the lowest speed during the printing process will not affect the internal chamber temperature while providing effective filtering. By the end of the printing, you can set the speed for the highest option for a few minutes in order to ensure the complete chamber has been cleaned of any harmful additives opening the doors.
Considering the daily use of the printer in a clean room, the HEPA/Carbon combo filters last from 6 to12 months and the pre-filter from 3 to 6 months. An alert indicator to change the is located on the front panel.
Duet 2 WiFi, a powerful 3D Printer controller made in the UK. Duet is a well known and widely supported electronic platform for professional 3D printers. It is made by a respectful company and it is a major factor in the ability to provide ongoing high level of quality and reliability.
- Powerful 32 Bit Processor
- Dedicated WiFi module with external antenna
- Quiet TMC2660 stepper drivers, up to 256 micro-stepping.
- High speed USD card and support for a second external SD card if required.
- Dual extruders controlled on the main board, up to 5 additional stepper motor drivers are controlled on the DUEX expansion board.
- High Power rating: Each stepper driver is capable of 2.8A motor current, currently limited in software to 2.4A.
- Access the printer via a PC, tablet or smartphone on a local network.
- Set up and control your printer through the web interface.
Fully Automated Calibration
All Modix printers are now delivered with the electronic expansion board named “Duex 5”. By using Duex 5, a dedicated stepper motor driver is allocated for each Z and X axis motor. As a result, Modix printers now offer a full set of automated calibration routines to all Generation 4 models, including:
- Bed tilting calibration
- Bed leveling
- Gantry alignment
- Z offset calibration
Modix printers come with a 7-inch Duet3D touchscreen which is integrated directly with the Duet 2 controller board. The custom-made 7-inch color touchscreen has an 800x480 pixel resolution and integrated high-speed slots for both SD cards and USB. Even though Modix printers can be fully remotely controlled with your computer or even your phone, you don't need to with the full-function touchscreen.
- Touch Screen- 7-inch Duet3D touchscreen – integrated with the controller
- Front interface updated with convenient frontal power switch
- Web Interface – WiFi web access for remote control from either mobile or PC
- Directly upload files from workstation
Tilt Screen, Emergency Button & Frontal Power switch
This trio feature combo is standard for BIG-Meter and BIG-120Z. The tilt screen and emergency button are offered as an add-on for the rest of the printers. The Frontal power switch is standard on all models.
Tilt Screen – Mounted on an articulated arm, the tilt screen is a convenience feature. It is very useful during print head calibration process and other maintenance routines as you can always turn the face towards you. Left right, upwards or downwards.
Emergency Reset Button – Together with the tilt screen update, an emergency reset (software reset) button is now located on the front of the machine. This control and safety feature will allow you to immediately stop prints whenever needed.
Frontal Power Switch – Easy to reach power on/off button. Useful when the printer is installed in a tight corner.
Open-Source Software & Firmware
Modix 3D printers all come with open-source Duet RepRap firmware. This firmware is developed and supported directly by Duet3D, the manufacturer of the Modix controller board. This firmware allows you to easily create multiple configurations. You can also easily customize using a macro system. Modix accepts generic g-code, allowing you to use open-source slicers. Modix recommends Simplify3d, but you can also use Slic3r, Cura, and many other programs. Modix also provides specific configurations for settings.
- Open-source Duet RepRap firmware. The leading firmware for 3D printing allowing numerous configurations and easy customization using the macro system.
- Choose from any available slicer and 3D printer controller including: Slic3r, Cura, and Simplify3d.
- Specific printer configurations are supplied in the customer zone.
Open Material Platform
Modix is an open-material platform that uses 1.75mm 3D printer filament. That means that you can use any brand of filament you want, not locking you into a specific brand. This gives you the flexibility to use the filaments that you like and try out fun and exciting new materials.
Modix's printing head supports almost any existing filament including: PLA, ABS, composites: Carbon fiber, Wood, Copper, Brass, Magnetic, PHA, PVA , Hips, Nylon, TPE & TPU (flexible) Co-Polyester, PETG
Open Material System – Any filament from any vendor can be used.
Modix BIG-60 Videos
(will be updated with V4 soon)
Modix Big-60 Assembly time-lapse
Assembly Highlights from the online guides
Sequence printing (one by one)
Modix Big-60 printing multiple models
Printing of large object
Printing complex model on BIG-60 V2