A lightweight high-resolution extruder upgrade for the popular Prusa i3 MK3S and MK2.5S 3D printers with optimized design to use Mosquito and Mosquito Magnum hotends.
Upgrade Your Prusa
Upgrade your Prusa with a Bondtech Mini Geared extruder featuring higher gear ratio – 3:1 – that allows for extra push force and higher resolution.
Print Faster Or With Higher Quality
This lightweight extruder will allow your 3D printer to print faster or to achieve even better surface quality.
Reduce 3D Printing Issues
Decrease the risk of heat creep to avoid clogs and improve filament feeding by avoiding slipping and deformation that cause under and over extrusion issues.
Upgrade kit With Optimized Design to fit Mosquito hotends
This is a Bondtech upgrade for the popular Prusa I3 MK3S+/MK3S and MK2.5S that will allow the use of the world acclaimed Mosquito hotends.
Bondtech Extruder For Prusa i3 MK2.5S & MK3S + MK3S+
This kit contains only the necessary parts to convert your current extruder to our own popular design based upon our BMG (Bondtech Mini Geared) extruder with 3:1 gearing ratio for better precision and resolution together with optimized geometry for the heatsink cooling and professional SLS 3D printed housing.
Working Temperature Limits
Bear in mind that if you use this upgrade kit inside a closed chamber, it will have the following set of working temperature limits:
- Due to the sensor plastic parts made of HT PLA up to 60°C (90-100°C when parts are annealed);
- Due to the stepper motor > up to 80°C.
This Upgrade Kit does not include the Bondtech drive gears (already supplied by Prusa).
To use this Upgrade Kit, you will also need to buy the following:
- the Mosquito 12v 50w Heater Cartridge(for the MK2.5S version) or the Mosquito 24v 50w Heater Cartridge (for the MK3S version);
- one or more Vanadium Nozzles, if you want to print abrasive materials like carbon or glass fiber and metal filled materials;
- a 1.5Nm Torque Wrench to properly tighten the nozzle.
Product Main Features
This extruder upgrade presents the following main features:
- Adapted to fit Prusa’s new filament sensor and Mosquito hotends;
- Includes one Bondtech BMG extruder with 3:1 gearing ratio;
- Optimized geometry for heat-sink cooling;
- Less moving weight to reduce vibration and ghosting;
- Professional SLS 3D printed housing and 3 other key parts.
MK3S / MK3S Mosquito, What’s the difference?
This Upgrade Kit is mostly similar to the Prusa MK3S and MK2.5S Upgrade Kit previous MK3S, with the main difference of having been designed to fit the Mosquito and Mosquito Magnum hotends. Other differences come from the design changes that include:
- An optimization of the cooling air channel to focus the airflow on the Mosquito’s heatsink. The channel is narrower.
- This tighter space is also used to hold the hotend in place during nozzle changes, so the user can change the nozzle with a single hand.
- The fan shroud was also redesigned to fit the Mosquito hotends.
- We include in this kit a new part, the Mosquito hotend adapter, 3D printed with SLS.
Prusa’s Heater or Mosquito Heater, What should I use?
The Upgrade is compatible with the thermistor and 40w heater already supplied with the Prusa (MK3s). A 30W heater(most mk2.5s users) will likely not be sufficient enough to keep the Mosquito Hotend at a stable temperature. However, you also have the option of using Slice Engineering Mosquito thermistor and 50W heater. We recommend the more efficient 50W heater for your Mosquito to reach a stable operating temperature faster.
- If you have a Prusa i3 MK2.5S, buy the 12v Mosquito heater.
- If you have a Prusa i3 MK3S, you should buy the 24v Mosquito heater.
We highly recommend using a thermal compound paste to provide good thermal conductivity between the heater and the hotend. Slice Engineering recommends the use of Boron Nitride Paste.
STEP BY STEP GUIDES
These are the guides that apply to the Bondtech Upgrade Kit for Prusa i3 MK3S/MK2.5S With Mosquito Interface
00. Bondtech Prusa i3 – Firmware Update
01. Prusa i3 MK2.5S / MK3S Upgrade Kit – Strip Reusable Parts
02. Prusa i3 MK2.5S / MK3S – Mosquito Upgrade Kit – Installation
- Article number : EXT-KIT-69
- EAN code : 7350011410675
- Net weight : 378g
- Gross weight : 389g
- Package Size : 137x94x65mm
- Gearing ratio : 3:1
- E-steps value : 415 @16 bit micro-stepping; or 830 @32 bit micro-stepping
- Extruder Housing : SLS Printed parts in Polyamide 12;
Lightweight 25 mm pancake stepper with 18 N/m torque.
Max Input Current : 0.8A
Max chamber working temperature : 80℃
X-Carriage: Requires buying or 3D printing new X-Carriage R2 Front and Rear;
Firmware: Bondtech adapted version required.
Licensing: This Project is licenced under GPL V3.0 and the STEP-files are available for download.